Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Frozen

2002-10-30 12:26:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Frozen
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:26:35 -0500
How do you know you don't have media errors? You don't say what platform you're
running on but from a UNIX point of view I can almost always relate a FROZEN
media to some kind of error. I find them in
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors. I can't say what the NT/W2K equivalent
is. My point is you may be having errors and don't know it.

Just an observation.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

>>> Katherine Cerqueira <kcerqueira AT team.look DOT ca> 10/30/2002 12:07:59 PM

Hi,

I know that media gets frozen due to media errors but to my knowledge, there
have been no media errors.  I noticed today that I have 6 tapes that are in
a frozen state and I am not sure why?  If I unfreeze them, the backup job
mounts them and then tries but it times out eventually when trying to write
to them.  They eventually freeze again.  Any ideas as to what I should be
looking at?  Thanks for any help.

Katherine
.