Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Q: network connection timed out (NB:41) errors?

2002-10-28 21:21:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Q: network connection timed out (NB:41) errors?
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 18:21:25 -0800 (PDT)
Has anyone run across the error `network connection timed out (NB:41)'
when trying to update information related to backup classes?

I'm seeing these sporadically, but very frequently, when using either
the `xbpadm' or the `jnbSA' administrative clients.  It's a bit puzzling
as I'm running both of these administrative clients right on the master
server I'm administering.  There's certainly no networking bottleneck
involved, so I have to assume something strange is going on with the
master server processes themselves.

When the problem occurs, it's when I click either the Apply or OK
buttons to commit the changes I've made to say... the schedules of a
class.  The administrative client then becomes unresponsive, failing to
update the windows.  After a number of minutes pass, a dialog is popped
up with the error `network connection timed out (NB:41)'.  The changes
fail to go into effect, and in the case of the Java client, I've even
had it delete the schedule I was modifying after getting the timeout
error.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be related to the other
activity on the system.  Sometime I get the errors with there are lots
of backups running, sometimes I get them when it's completely idle.

I'm running on a Sun Sparc system with Solaris 8.  Here's the output
from the support script:

->  ==================== VERSION ====================
->
->  HARDWARE SOLARIS
->  VERSION NetBackup 3.4GA
->  RELEASEDATE Tue Jun 20 03:04:00 CDT 2000
->
->  NetBackup-Solaris2.6 3.4GA
->
->  HARDWARE SOLARIS
->  VERSION Media Manager 3.4GA
->  RELEASEDATE Tue Jun 20 03:04:00 CDT 2000
->
->  ...
->
->   You have installed 2 patches.