Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP expectations

2002-09-30 18:18:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP expectations
From: jstephens AT ti DOT com (John D Stephens)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:18:58 -0500
Sorry for the late jump in, just catching up on email.

We use Quantum/ATL P7000 GigE network attached tape libraries
to backup our NAS filers.  In this configuration, I basically
have all my tape drives shared among all my filers.  IE: None
of my drives are dedicated to any filer.  We use level 9
for file history and we can recover files or directories
without having to restore a huge volume to a spare device.
Today, I restored 4 single files for a user that was buried
6 levels down.  Took about 1 hour though, but that will soon
change with the release of DAR (Direct Access Restore), which
is due soon.

We only have about 95TB here, but NDMP has been used reliably
at this site for over 3 years.  But I agree with the way NDMP
works, it either does or it doesn't.  There is no middle.

If you don't have an ATL GigE library, you can direct attach
a tape drive/s to the filer, then using 3-way NDMP you can
backup other filers over the network using that filer's STU.
This is how I use NDMP in our remote sites with only 2 or 3
filers and a single drive robot.

I'll be glad to help you if you have any NDMP questions.

thanks.

john