Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Choice of platform for Master Server

2002-09-25 14:49:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Choice of platform for Master Server
From: Steve.White AT PacifiCorp DOT com (White, Steve)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:49:46 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C264C4.51738CD0

Dude whoever told you that the "Windows version is better supported and has
more features" was smoking some really good stuff...hope it's legal :-)

There are any number of things to consider when choosing your platform,
among them the skill sets of the folks that will be doing the bulk of the
administration.  If your NetBackup environment will be primarily supported
by folks with UNIX skills, go with a UNIX master server (I would suggest
Solaris).  If, on the other hand, your primary care givers will be Windows
admins, then I'd strongly think about going with Windows.  That being said,
however, there are some other considerations...

1. Solaris servers tend to scale better.  A Sun V880 makes a screaming
NetBackup server whereas the Windows servers tend to hit the wall faster.
2. A lot of the scripts and other "goodies" available from people on the
mailing list are shell scripts, although I know a number of folks doing
things in Perl or Windows batch scripting.
3. I think there are still issues with having a stable Fibre tape
environment if you use Windows with its habit of changing drive mappings on
you.

I prefer the Solaris solution, but then that's what I know best so my
judgment could be considered subjective :-)

FWIW

Steve White