Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLTape IV brands & problems

2002-09-25 12:16:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLTape IV brands & problems
From: RDinwid AT templeinland DOT com (Dinwiddie, Ron (TIFPC))
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:16:16 -0500
All,

I just subscribed to this mailing list based on good things I've heard about
it from my co-worker.

We have been experiencing some problems with our DLTape IV tapes, read/write
errors, in a Sun L20 Tape Library/Drive.  Unfortunately, we don't have a
good enough history at this time to track the brand of the tape relationship
to the errors.  Over time, different groups within the company has purchased
tapes for use and we now have tapes from 3 different vendors:  Digital,
Maxell, and Compaq.  It's our understanding that there are only 2 factories
that produce these tapes and then the vendors put their brand on them.  Our
questions are:

1) Does anyone know which vendors purchase from which factory?  or have any
idea where we might find this information?

2) Does anyone have any good or bad experiences they can share with us
concerning these 3 brands of tapes?

We are going to replace some of our tapes and would like to get some input
from others that may have some good experiences to relate before we make the
purchase.

Thanks,

Ron D