Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bp.conf in a failover cluster

2002-09-25 09:33:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bp.conf in a failover cluster
From: Steve.White AT PacifiCorp DOT com (White, Steve)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:33:11 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C26498.17707DD0

Well I guess one question is do you really need a bp.conf in the Oracle home
directory?  In our DB cluster we just use the main bp.conf in
/usr/openv/netbackup.  In this file (each host in the cluster has their own)
we put the actual server name, not any of the virtual names.

First thing to note is that I believe the "client" name in the bp.conf file
is only used for client-directed backups so it may or may not be an issue
for you, depending on what type of backups you're running.

What we do for our cluster systems is define the "client" to the master
server using the virtual IP addresses.  So if you have 3 virtuals (I assume
one for each DB) then I'd setup three "clients" on the master server, one
for each virtual. Then you can create classes that backup the individual
databases using the virtual host names.  This way when the scheduler kicks
off, it contacts the host using the virtual IP and initiates the backup no
matter which machine in the cluster has the database.

To handle cases like RMAN or custom scripts that backup the database as a
"user-directed" backup, we use the actual host name in the bp.conf file.
Now we haven't tried this with RMAN yet, but we will be soon.  We are using
it with user-directed backups and we don't seem to have any problems with
it.  The key would be when it comes time to do a restore, knowing which
server the DB was running on at the time the backup was done.

If you really need to have a bp.conf file in your Oracle home directory,
then I'd have it setup so that directory does not failover with the DB, but
each server has their own version of it.  Then you can customize the stuff
in there per host.

HTH

Steve White