Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] retention levels and vaulting

2002-09-24 22:13:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] retention levels and vaulting
From: ssesar AT rcn DOT com (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:13:56 -0400
Ok, so, if you hadn't noticed yet, I'm the guy responsible for NetBackup, who
had never seen NetBackup, up until a short time ago.

In a nutshell, I have inherited apretty broken system, that I am trying to
right-size and correctly configure.

The way it stands now, retention levels are all over the place; no rhyme or
reason. Vaulting, for selected classes, is being done once per month. Now,
once per month sounds almost useless, to me.

My questions are: do any "best practices" exist where retention is concerned,
or is purely based upon business requirements. That said, it seems that
retention and vaulting go hand in hand. Are tere any "rules of thumb" that
apply?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Steve