Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault format and encryption

2002-09-24 17:00:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault format and encryption
From: david AT datastaff DOT com (David A. Chapa)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:00:41 -0400
Vault doesn't gzip images before going to tape.

Vault is using the NBU core to perform all of the duplication functions.  At
its simpliest level it is merely automating several manual tasks.  It uses
bpduplicate to identify the candidate images based on the selection criteria in
the dup_param file and then it creates a BID file which it uses to then begin
the duplication process.  I don't know of any switch with bpduplicate that does
compression at the software level, and believe me, I have gone through this guy
with considerable effort.

As for #2, true...and unfortunately I can't help you much there Jeff, sorry.

HTH

David Chapa