Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to handle "infinite" retention while maintaining a reasonable catalog size?

2002-09-20 21:52:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to handle "infinite" retention while maintaining a reasonable catalog size?
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 18:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
> No, there is nothing like this in NetBackup, and I wish there was.  Once
> a piece of media has been expired, you lose everything about it, and it
> will be overwritten. You could build your own database by doing a
> bpmedialist before expiring the tape, then expiring it.  You have to
> make sure it's out of the library, though, or it will be overwritten.
> (You may be able to use bpmedia -freeze to prevent this as well, but I'm
> not sure how that will work on an expired tape.)

I imagine that you could also "assign" it in volume manager.  I know
that assignments to 0 are for NB, 1 is for NB catalogs and 2 is for
VSM.  I wonder if you could just assign it to something else (say 7).
You'd know that assignments to 7 indicated it was an old tape that you
were keeping around, and it needs to be in your database.

Then VM would never allow NB to use the tape in the future if it
accidentally was reinserted for a restore, and the write-protect switch
wasn't on.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company