Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Need help restoring from another media server (not the one where the tape was written)

2002-08-26 18:04:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Need help restoring from another media server (not the one where the tape was written)
From: Michelle.Stone AT kla-tencor DOT com (Stone, Michelle)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:04:12 -0700
We are staging a disaster recovery exercise in a couple of weeks and I have
been tasked with documenting the procedure.  In our set up, we have a single
master/media server to replace the several machines we have in production.
In our production system, we have a single master server with several media
servers.

On my testbed, when I attempt a restore, the restore fails complaining that
it can not find the media server on which the tape was written:

        Status of restore image created on = cannot connect to server
      backup restore manager

I have tried using the FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER directive in the bp.conf
file.  I have tried the FAILOVER_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVERS directive in the
bp.conf file. I have tried moving the tape db with the bpimage command. None
of these solutions work. For our disaster recovery exercise, we are using a
facility where time costs a lot of money.  I can't afford to import all the
tapes we will need for the system restores.  We are running Datacenter
3.4.3.

Does anyone have any idea, how I can restore these files with out importing
the tapes?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Michelle Stone