Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] lots of status 84 for catalog backups (SUMMARY)

2002-08-20 16:13:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] lots of status 84 for catalog backups (SUMMARY)
From: robert_johannes AT udlp DOT com (Robert Johannes)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:13:33 -0500
It looks like the cause of this problem was the catalog had grown to be
too big for the DLT IV tape.  The strange thing is that it would report
status code 84, instead of reporting that it ran out of tape, or
something similar.

I got around it by making one of my media servers that has superDlt (110
gigs) tape drives attached do the catalog backups.  That's, configure
the netbackup DB attributes on the master server, specifying one of the
media servers as the backup server, and changing the file list to
reflect the network path to the master server; i.e, change it to
master:/usr/openv/whatever instead of /usr/openv/whatever.  You
literally have to run the bpbackupdb process on the media server, and
I've been doing my catalog manually.  I have not tried running the
catalog automatically with this setting.

robert