Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] W2K vs UNIX

2002-08-19 16:42:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] W2K vs UNIX
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:42:45 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C247C0.F918A4F0

I'd guess I'd take the standard Unix geeks answer to this:

"Why would you even debate Unix vs NT.  Go with Unix."

I think the predjuce is justified.  NT still, to me, has yet to prove to be
hardy enough for a production system.  Too many reboots, too little
performance, and still the target of way to many viruses (virii?).

As for backup speed, that's going to depend on what your drive type is and
how many you have.

My 300G database will backup in about 3.5 hours when going in parallel to
four DLT 7000 drives.  That same dataset will take 11 hours going to a
single drive.  This does not involve a network in any way.  How your client
data gets to your tapes can be a big factor, too.

We backed up a 2TB set of data the other day across 8 LTO drives in an NB
SSO on a SAN in 8 hours and we're still trying to tune for more performance.
That volume of data was ~10.8 MB/sec and we think we're should be able to
get at least 15 MB/sec. if not more.

As always, YMMV.

-M