Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netware backups & virus scan software

2002-08-19 15:12:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netware backups & virus scan software
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:12:06 -0400
What is easier to do is to set Netshield to scan just incoming files. If
you have virus scanning implemented on your workstations, this would be
the safer way to do it.
Everything being written to the server is scanned, but files being read
are not. Everything read from the server would get scanned as the user
opens the files.
 For extra safety, you could schedule a weekly scan of the entire
volume, but this always depends on the size of the volume as to whether
it would work or not. I've had servers that, in doing a complete scan of
the volume, didn't finish a scan before the next one was scheduled to
start a week later. The other problem with a full scan is cpu usage.
Netshield can tie up a lot of resources.

Actually, depending on the tape drive, getting > 16 meg per second is
pretty good. With DLT7000 drives, going through a fiber network
connection, I have a hard time getting anything over 8 or 9 meg per sec.
Netware doesn't always have very fast disk access, especially if you
have much running on the box.

Bob Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC
734-930-3703
Fax 734-669-3703
grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

>>> <JLaurie AT csu DOT org> 8/19/02 2:51:10 PM >>>
We just recently have started to use NBU 3.4 for NetWare backups
(non-Target). Our first test to a lab server (with no virus scan
software)
resulted in backup rates of about 17.5 GB/hr. The Netware admins were
happy and so we backed up a production server; but the backup rates
dropped by half. The admins noticed that every file being accessed for

backup was also being scanned for viruses. They DOWN'd the vshield NLM
and
the backup rates went to 15 GB/ hr.

Has anyone experienced this? Downing Vshield for the 12.5 hours it
takes
to backup 188GB seems like a pretty large window of vulnerability. Not
mention that although the Netware admins can "cron" an automated DOWN
of
the NLM prior to the scheduled backup start time, they don't know
exactly
when the backups have completed and so have to do periodic backup
status
checks at "0dark:30".

I've checked, there is no bpstart_notify and bpend_notify facility
available for NetWare client