Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MS Exchange 5.5 Restore

2002-08-19 13:59:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MS Exchange 5.5 Restore
From: ron AT linux DOT ca (Ron Lyman)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:59:51 -0400 (EDT)
It has finally happened, an Exchange Admin at HQ made a goof, and my
department's contact list in the public directory has been wiped out.  He
is looking into tools at his disposal to recover this data.  In the mean
time, I will start looking into recovering from backup.  I'm sending this
mail out as a preliminary request for information - how-to's, gotcha's,
etc.

My basic idea of how to approach this is to install Win2K Server on a
computer, as well as Exchange 5.5.  Restore Exchange's Information Store
and Directory from one of last week's backup tapes.  Copy the contacts of
the public folder to a personal contact list (.PST file).  Move the PST
file onto the production network and copy into the public folder.

Am I correct in assuming I will have to install NBU and drives to the temp
restore server?  I don't think I can restore over the wire.  The reason
for this is we only have one server that handles both backup and Exchange
(and file and print).  I am assuming the temp server will have to have the
same name as well.

If any of you have any comments or suggestions, I will appreciate them.

Regards,
Ron Lyman
Network Support
Moen Incorporated