Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB4.5 and Server free backups

2002-08-16 12:19:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB4.5 and Server free backups
From: curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:19:33 -0700
I think you meant Sybase.  ServerFree backups of Oracle are very
possible.  ServerFree backups of Sybase are another thing.  I'm not sure if
they'll ever be possible.  Sybase doesn't currently support proxy copy of
their data files during backup.  The only way to backup Sybase with a
commercial product is to do a 'dump database,' and take the stream of data
it gives you.  In order to be able to support ServerFree backups, Sybase
would have to be able to just give NBU a list of files to go back up on its
own (proxy copy).  I don't believe it can do it.  (Neither can its cousin
SQL Server, BTW.)