Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] lots of status 84 for catalog backups

2002-08-13 12:53:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] lots of status 84 for catalog backups
From: Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com (Ryan Anderson)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:53:12 -0500
NBU can only use one tape for a catalog backup. It may be failing at
times when the catalog is less compressed (due to multiple restores),
but succeeding when its more compressed.

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

>>> Robert Johannes <robert_johannes AT udlp DOT com> 08/13/02 11:09AM >>>
I've been running into alot of status code 84 errors when performing
catalog backups.  I'm using Solaris 8, with DLT 7k drives on NB 34_1.
The size of /usr/openv is at 35.7 gigs.  At times I run into this
error
even if I use 3 or 4 brandnew tapes in a row.  What's the 'real'
problem
causing this?  Can it be the fact that the catalog is slightly more
than
the 35gig natively supported by dlt IV tape?  I usually put in two
tapes
at a time to be used for catalog backups, and I assume it should be
able
to use both if it runs out of space on the first one.

thanks
robert