Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup Master on a Unix cluster - How to use the virtual backu p network address ?

2002-08-08 08:39:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Master on a Unix cluster - How to use the virtual backu p network address ?
From: support.cphvt-s AT sas DOT dk (support.cphvt-s AT sas DOT dk)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:39:36 +0200
We have a Netbackup DataCenter version 3.4.1 Master installed on a HP-UX
Service Guard cluster.

The /usr/openv software is in a software package which can run on either of
two nodes in the cluster.

The Netbackup package has a backup network virtual hostname "v1bkpb".
i.e. v1bkpb is the same ip whichever node the netbackup package is running
on.
Node 1 in the Unix cluster has a static backup network name "h1adm01ab"
Node 2 in the Unix cluster has a static backup network name "h1adm02ab"

We wish to configure the bp.conf on the clients to listen for the virtual
hostname "v1bkpb"...
however only the static hostnames are sent by deamon bpcd.
i.e.
bp.conf with SERVER = v1bkpb   fails
bp.conf with SERVER = h1adm01ab works if the package happens to be running
on Node 1 ..but fails if the package is running on Node 2.

We can get round this by have both the static names in the bp.conf. But this
is a bit messy.

Question: How do we configure netbackup to use the virtual hostname "v1bkpb"
?
               Or do we really have to live with static names only ?

Hopefully the above is not completely black talk!

rgds Martyn
        www.scandinavianIT.com