Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange, NetBackup, and Commvault

2002-08-07 17:38:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange, NetBackup, and Commvault
From: curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com (curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com)
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:38:29 -0700
HELP!

I keep hearing that Commvault is better than NetBackup on Exchange, but I'm
trying to get details and verify the hype.  This email summarizes both, and
I'd like to see if anyone can verify/explain/correct anything here.  If
responding, please mention the version of each that you are referring to.

At http://www.commvault.com/pdf/Exchange.pdf, Commvault says that they can:

"recover online, a single message directly into a user's mailbox, with all
attributes like attachments, Outlook properties, and date/time stamp intact."

"Identify, sort, and search through messages by sender, recipient, date,
and subject."

"Mail IDs automatically recreated during a restore"

At http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/nbu_4_5_exchange_ds.pdf , Veritas
says that they can:

"By executing a special "brick-level" backup, recovering individual
mailboxes, folders or e-mail messages no longer requires an extra server.
Simply select these items from within the intuitive graphical user
interface and execute the restore."

QUESTIONS:

1. Will NBU restore the messages "with all attributes like attachments,
Outlook properties, and date/time stamp intact?"
    (Like commvault says they do?)
    If not, what don't I get?

2. Does commvault's agent work?  Does NetBackup's agent work?

3. In NBU, Can I "identify, sort, and search through messages by sender,
recipient, date, and subject?" (like in Commvault)

4. Commvault says that Mail IDs are automatically created during a restore.
    NBU manual seems to say that I'll need to create the user before I can
do a restore of his/her mailbox.
    Do I have this correct?  Does Commvault create the ID for you during a
mailbox restore?

5. Commvault keeps saying that their backup is not a "brick level" backup,
but they also use MAPI, right?
    What's the difference between brick level and what they do?

6. How long does it take do do a brick-level backup of a large Exchange server?
    Does it work with large Exchange servers?
    (I remember that Legato wanted to limit you to 30 users ids at a
time.  Does NBU have any limit like that?)