Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup and FW-1

2002-08-04 06:19:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup and FW-1
From: richard.hall AT ingenta DOT com (Richard.Hall)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 11:19:42 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Bratt, David L. wrote:

> I am having problems restoring (backups complete successfully) to Windows
> clients outside our firewall.  The restore produces an error of "network
> connect timeout."  I have tried to follow a document from Veritas's website
> (TechNote ID 237796), but that really breaks things!!  We have even gone as
> far to open up all ports for the few machines we may need to restore to.  No
> luck with that.  Anybody have a similar problem or know something I have
> missed?

Had exactly the same problem. I don't have the details to hand today, but
it boils down to

- NBU establishes a connection through the f/w
- NBU does not send any data
- FW1 closes the connection after a fairly short timeout (1 minute?)

Note that this is a timeout on _initial_ data; once any data has been sent
a much longer timeout applies.

On the rare occasions we need to restore, we get round it by increasing
this timeout massively and reloading the f/w. Not pretty.

I'll try to dig out the details tomorrow (nag me if I forget!), or you can
hunt on www.phoneboy.com (IIRC)

HTH,
 RIchard