Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] class and schedule naming standards

2002-07-29 16:32:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] class and schedule naming standards
From: Jason.Ahrens AT telus DOT com (Jason Ahrens)
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:32:14 -0600

The way netbackup works, it's not possible to "rename" a class. Renaming a
class is basically recreating it from scratch. For this reason, why you
rename a class, NetBackup is going to want to do full backups for all your
systems again. It's good to plan class name changes around when your full
backups would occur.

For restores, NetBackup does not care what class a system was backed up
with. During restore the only thing that's of any importance is the client
name.

You can delete clients and classes from the "active" NetBackup list.
NetBackup will not expire existing images done with those names. It will
keep them around until their natural expiry.

During whatever transition time you have until all the "old" images have
expired, your metadata backups will contain references to both names. In
practice, this really doesn't have any great functional impact.

Jason

--
Jason Ahrens, System Analyst
TELUS Enterprise Solutions