Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup different OS in a same pool ?

2002-07-22 12:21:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup different OS in a same pool ?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:21:13 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2319B.CBF729A0

I backup the majority of my systems to the same pool; Linux & Solaris alike
so there's no technical issues with it.

Here's a (slightly edited) snippet from an earlier post with my opinion on
tape pools:

I pool my databases separate from my filesystem backups just for
administrative tracking.  I like to know how many tapes are being taken up
by this different class of data.  I also have a pair of pools for a specific
project-related set of servers because this client is paranoid about sharing
tapes with other client's data.

I use a specific pool for offsite tapes.  This is because I duplicate the
pools above to other tapes for offsite storage, the offsite pool easily
identifies which tapes get ejected from the library after the duplication is
done.  I have a script called "eject_pool" that I call that pushes all tapes
from the library that are part of the supplied poolname.

I think a scratchpool is a necessity - I return all deassigned tapes to the
scratchpool with a daily script.

One reason for using pools to separate full and incremental backups would be
to protect against media damage.  If you smash a tape full of incremental
images, then you can be sure your full backups weren't damaged in the fall.

Be aware, that using lots of pools will cost slightly more tapes.  For each
pool, there's a portion of tape "on the end" that wasn't filled fully by the
previous jobs - from an efficiency point of view, this is wasted space.  I
have roughly a dozen pools, each one has at least one tape that isn't full.
This free space adds up - although not significantly.  It's a balancing act
- although a pretty easy one.

-Mark