Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Raw volume restore slow?

2002-07-18 17:23:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Raw volume restore slow?
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 23:23:05 +0200 (MEST)
>Backup, filesystem-level full: Drives write at ~30MB/sec, total time about 2
>hours.
>Backup, raw volume full: Same as filesystem full, maybe 5% faster
>Restore, filesystem-level full: Drives read at ~30MB/sec, total time is about
>2.75 hours
>Backup, raw volume full: Drives putter along at 8-9MB/sec.
>
>Huh?  Anyone have any guesses as to why a raw volume restore would be so
>much slower?

Just guessing, but when 'dd -ing' to or from a raw disk volume, I've noticed
that the used
blocksize has much impact on the transfer rate. Don't know what nbu uses
though, but you could
test your max. speed with dd and varying blocksize (stripe size is likely to be
a good starting
point).

gr, Joost
--