Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Raw volume restore slow?

2002-07-16 13:39:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Raw volume restore slow?
From: Fabbro.Andrew AT cnf DOT com (Fabbro, Andrew P)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:39:42 -0700
I'm testing a media server backing up its own mounts.  8 mounts at ~100Gb
writing to four LTO with an MPX of 2.  The disk storage involved can take
data faster than four drives can give it.  The data is in large
multi-gigabyte files.  I'm using iostat to watch the drives.

Backup, filesystem-level full: Drives write at ~30MB/sec, total time about 2
hours.
Backup, raw volume full: Same as filesystem full, maybe 5% faster
Restore, filesystem-level full: Drives read at ~30MB/sec, total time is
about 2.75 hours
Backup, raw volume full: Drives putter along at 8-9MB/sec.

Huh?  Anyone have any guesses as to why a raw volume restore would be so
much slower?

--
Drew Fabbro
fabbro.andrew AT cnf DOT com