Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SCSI errors !

2002-07-12 19:23:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SCSI errors !
From: karunanidhis AT hotmail DOT com (Karunanidhi Subramanian)
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 16:23:13 -0700
Hi Folks !
I have a Sun E420R connected to a IBM 1384 LTO library configured with 6
drives and 3 Scsi controllers on Sun side each connected to 2 drives.
I have been getting "Data phase IN parity error" or "Scsi transport failed"
errors intermittently on at least one drive in each controller.
When this "scsi timout" occurs, netbackup puts the drive down. But this
happens once in a week or so.

But recently I started getting "Reducing sync transfer rate" "Disabled wide
scsi mode on target 3" errors on a particular drive. Since it disables the
wide scsi mode, the throughput on the drive is very less. I tried connecting
to different controllers, but still the same.

Are all the following errors are of the same catagory?
"SCSI transport failed"
"Disconnected timeout"
"Data in Phase parity error"
"Reducing sync transfer rate"..

One more thing, when I changed the drive to a different controller, the
device file was also changed. (I did configure properly on Netbackup), but
the SCSI errors on that drive now has ASC "Internal target failure".
What does that mean? Do I need to change the target internally? Even though
the target is 10 (/dev/rmt/10), the error shows up as "Reducing sync
transfer rate for target 3"..

I have changed the terminator, cable and the tape drive...and I don't
suspect all the controllers could go bad.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
- Karun