Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] tapes expiring

2002-06-25 19:52:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] tapes expiring
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
> Hey Mark and everyone else....
>

> We've got the same problem here.  I did a little poking around and vmquery
> returns an expiration date (field 20) of 00/00/000 for EVERY volume!

I think that's normal.  That's the date to toss the volume in the trash.

> It's
> not a problem with your script except that you are running vmchange on every
> tape whether it is active or not. I don't think that it will hurt the active
> tapes but it will waste machine cycles. Since we have thousands of tapes,
> I'm not sure that I want to do this.

But it also checks whether it is assigned (field 28), yes?  So it won't
run on assigned tapes.  Do you have thousands of unassigned tapes?

> You can get active expiration data on active volumes using bpmedialist.  But
> that won't give you squat on expired volumes.

I think you mean it doesn't give you anything on expired images
(different from expired volumes).

> So, can anyone tell me where I can easily get expiration data for my tapes?
> This pool thing has killed us twice in a major way.

> # Note: vmquery col  1 is tape number
> #               col  3 is tape type
> #               col 12 is poolname
> #               col 20 is "assigned" date
>
> tapelist=`vmquery -a -w |  awk '$3 !~ /CLN/ && \
>                                $20 == "00/00/0000" && \
>                                $12 != "'$SPname'" && \
>                                $28 == 0 {print $1}' `

Just run this command and see what the output is...

vmquery -a -w |  awk '$3 !~ /CLN/ && 20 == "00/00/0000" && $28 == 0 {print $1}'
| wc

What do you get?  That should only show unassigned tapes (including
those in the scratch pool).

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company