Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Duplication time !

2002-06-17 18:22:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Duplication time !
From: Joost Mulders <mail AT j-mulders.demon DOT nl> (Joost Mulders)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 00:22:21 +0200 (MEST)
>I am using bpvault extension (3.4)to setup an offsite media storage system.
>While testing the duplication, I see the duplication speed being 30 GB/Hour
>where as our backup speed is 35 GB/hour. We are using 2 LTO libraries (IBM
>3584) with six drives each and we don't multiplex the backups and I am
>utilizing all the drives for duplicating (3 drive pairs)
>
>I need to know what is the duplication speed I can expect if my backups run
>at 35GB/hour. If you share your experience with vault, that would be very
>helpful to me.
>
>Our weekend full backup is 2 TB and at this duplication speed it will be
>impossible for us to duplicate in one day.

Well, I know one reason for duplication to be slower as backup: even if source-
and destionatio storage unit are locally (scsi) attached, the data travels over
the loopback network interface. Yes, it really does!, run bpduplicate and see
the
packetcount of "lo" increase.

This eats considerable CPU and is a lazy design. The reading bptm should write
shared memory, just like bpbkar does if it's doing a 'local' backup.

--
Mondeling examen.