Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT8000 Density Override

2002-06-14 11:51:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT8000 Density Override
From: ddunham AT taos DOT com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 08:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
> I would simplify Darren's method down to one step by using the bplabel
> command (rewriting said header at BOT).  It will handle mounting,
> writing, etc.  Just make sure to do this only on expired tapes of
> course.
>
> This assumes that the drive will automatically pick the highest
> density when writing to BOT.  I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case
> when going from 4000 to 7000, but I haven't looked at it in years.

It depends on the OS and the driver.

I'm working from a Solaris background where you spcify a particular
device in netbackup (like /dev/rmt/0cbn).  The 'c' indexes into the
/kernel/drv/st.conf file (or the driver's builtin definitions) and gives
a particular density setting.  So, there's no "pick the highest density"
in this particular case.

Other OSs may differ.

Good to know about the bplabel.  I wish I had a standalone drive
attached to NB to test out resetting the densities.  It would be
problematic to test in a production jukebox.  :-)

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company