Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple SSO servers on 1 master server

2002-06-13 14:54:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple SSO servers on 1 master server
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:54:17 +0200
I don't remember the link, but IBM has a "white paper" about this.
LTO is not 3590 (or 9840 and 9940) class, and it will never be.

Tech. specs is something that you can read like someone reads the bibel.

What I think is interesting is: How does it work in real life.

If what you do is a lot of very large backups LTO is fine. But a little
like DLT start and stop is very bad for performance.
9840B by the way has a lot better specs then LTO. 20 MB/s and up to 1:4
compression. If I remember LTO right is says 15MB/s and 1:2 compression.
But I have seen people running 35MB/s on 9840A on Solaris and using
NetBackup 3.4.
9940B should be out around 1. sep. this year. They will also have 20MB/s
and 1:4 compression and 200GB native.

If we talk about StorageTek (I know them better then IBM these days) you
can't compare 9840 to LTO when we talk about how much data you can have.
9840 is made for fast mount time and fast search time.
Compare 9940 to LTO. 9940A had 60GB native and around 120-180 GB compressed
in our installation.
When we will change to 9940B later this year we will have 400-600GB compressed.

But don't let the specs blind you. There is a lot more to tapedrives and
backups that people tend to know and remember.

We spend 4-5 times longer to calculate what drives to use then what
disksubsystem to use in our SAN.

/johnny