Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Loaders vs. stackers for off-site backups

2002-06-11 12:57:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Loaders vs. stackers for off-site backups
From: rwatters AT projo DOT com (Robert Watterson)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:57:32 -0400
Hi All,

  We're at least a year away from getting new tape silo's and configuring
bpvault. The problem is I need to find a better way to do off-site backups until
then. I had in mind getting a small ( 1-2 DLT drive, 7-10 tape) stacker and
writing a script to run bpduplicate as required to create off-site images. The
primary reason I'm looking for a stacker or loader is that the support staff
could simply load a new clip of tapes once a day, and wouldn't have to deal with
tape management.

 Is anybody else doing something like this, or is it a bad idea?
Anybody suggest possible loaders/stackers that let you load tapes in a cassette
or clip?
Feedback/comments/suggestions/abuse welcome. Well maybe not the abuse...

Rob W.