Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] MS Exchange cluster

2002-06-06 13:03:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] MS Exchange cluster
From: jonw AT n2h2 DOT com (Jon Walton)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:03:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I read your link on point #2.

It seems that an assumption of the article is that doing Information
Store Backups and Mailbox-level backups are mutually exclusive.   This of
course is not true.

We have had to restore an entire Exchange2000 server using the Information
Store backup, as well as individual emails from the Mailbox
backups.   Both have worked well.

A few points that also come to mind:

1. Granular single-email restorations are in fact possible.
2. If you have IMAP or POP3 users, it is my understanding that the
'deleted item retention' does not apply, and there is no way to recover
purged emails, other than the mailbox-level backups.

I will agree that performance is poor on the mailbox-level backups.   Our
Exchange server is only 10G and the mailbox-level backup takes about 3.5
hours.   I'll bet large Exchange installations won't be able to use this
feature and still fit into the backup window.

Anyone who is only doing mailbox-level backups, without IS backups is
misusing the product.

Just another opinion.

Regards,

Jon