Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] No motif GUI in NBU 4.5?

2002-06-02 13:13:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] No motif GUI in NBU 4.5?
From: curtis.lists AT backupcentral DOT com (W. Curtis Preston)
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 10:13:50 -0700
At 10:22 AM 5/1/2002 -0700, Fabbro, Andrew P wrote:
>The Java GUI is slow.  I don't care what you do in the jnbSA script to tweak
>it - it's still slow.  Anyone tried different JVMs to speed it up?  The
>problem is likely not only Java but the client/server design -
>
>         Motif: load/manipulate all data locally on the master, send display
>changes only
>         Java: load/manipulate all data over the network, display changes
>locally

That has changed in 4.5.  They send only changed data, and it looks a lot
faster than it used to be.  (I saw it last week at Vision.)

>Also, the Java client sends the root password to your server out in clear
>text.  I've heard the suggestion that you ssh to the server first and set
>your display back to your workstation.  Good idea, except that Veritas has
>told me this is not supported and they will not help you troubleshoot it.
>And it doesn't work in every environment.

But it works just fine.  I've always done it that way.  They need to work
on the clear text password thing, though.

>Also, the Java client doesn't have all the functionality of the Windows
>client (but neither does the Motif client) - no way to set OTM parameters or
>exclude lists.  Hopefully this will change.

The two GUIs will look a lot more alike, but the OTM parameters and exclude
lists are still Windows only.  They are working on that for a future
release, though.

I must say, the new GUI looks VERY nice.  I really like the look and feel
of it, and it didn't seem slow at all.