Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup upgrade from 3.4 to 4.5 -success!

2002-05-22 08:41:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup upgrade from 3.4 to 4.5 -success!
From: jaearick AT colby DOT edu (Jeff A. Earickson)
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 08:41:47 -0400 (EDT)
Y'all,

   I upgraded from Netbackup 3.4 to 4.5 on a Solaris 8 system (L20 tape
robot) with zero problems yesterday.  It went really smooth.  I put the
cdrom in, su'ed to root, ran the install script on the cdrom, followed
the instructions, no problem.  My comments about the procedure are:

* the booklet you get with Veritas 4.5 isn't really useful for the actual
  upgrade, just for all the possible gotchas.  You ought to read the
  book before the upgrade, but don't expect any step-by-step instructions
  for the actual install.  There ought to be some!!!

* For Solaris, the first thing the install script wants you to do is remove
  the prior copy of Netbackup and Volume Manager.  I found this to be scary.
  I didn't want to loose my setup and catalog information.  I tarred up
  my old /usr/openv directory before starting, to cover my ass.  Then
  I ran pkgrm for the two packages.  One question you get asked during
  the package remove is "Are you doing this remove as part of an
  upgrade?".  I answered yes.  I would guess that if you answer no,
  then you blow away all of your setup and catalog information too.
  The Veritas book should explain this in detail.  Beware.

Netbackup 4.5 gets a thumbs up.  The Java GUI is much more stable than 3.4.
With jnbSA in 3.4 I got a lot of thread exceptions and crashes; I ended
up using bpadm a lot instead.  No crashes with the GUI in 4.5.  The
calendar feature of 4.5 is a big winner.  Now I can do my monthly backups
on the first of the month without guessing when they might run.

** Jeff A. Earickson, Ph.D                         PHONE: 207-872-3659
** Senior UNIX Sysadmin, Information Technology    EMAIL: jaearick AT colby DOT
edu
** Colby College, 4214 Mayflower Hill,               FAX: 207-872-3076
** Waterville ME, 04901-8842