Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing

2002-05-21 12:00:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 10:00:09 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C200E0.95093C80

Hi all,
I had a serious problem in my duplications for offsite storage and the
ever-increasing time to copy the 12 images or so I send offsite weekly.
(search the archive for the threads if you want).

You could see the negative effects of multiplexing on my iostat checks.  For
every 10K I'd read, I'd write 10%-50% of that.  I was spinning a lot of tape
to read a little data.

Anyway - my solution was to break my backups into two classes, a multiplexed
one and a demux'd one.  The demux'd backups are those systems that need to
be duplicated.  The time to duplicate under the old method varied a lot by
how the race to grab drives ended up interleaving the images but in general
I moved from 3-5 days to duplicate to just about 1 day for the same set of
data.

To answer the question - I use 4096M as a tape fragment size.

$.02
-Mark