Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] What Un*x directories do people skip on clients?

2002-05-21 02:44:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] What Un*x directories do people skip on clients?
From: Shahar.Shaynis AT ecitele DOT com (Shahar.Shaynis AT ecitele DOT com)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 08:44:44 +0200
Hey!

We also avoid :
*swap*
.snapshot

Shahar.

                      William Enestvedt

                      <Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu>             To:
"VeritasNBU List (E-mail)" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

                      Sent by:                             cc:

                      veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng         Subject:
[Veritas-bu] What Un*x directories do people skip on clients?
                      .auburn.edu

                      20/05/2002 19:28

Given that NBU 3.4 doesn't do bare metal recovery, and instead requires
that
you manually re-install your OS, what directories do most people put in
their exclude lists?
   I've thought of the following already for my Solaris 2.6 systems:
      /proc
      /tmp
      /cdrom
      /home (we put home directories elsewhere), /net/vol, and /xfn. Do
other people have favorites? How about /dev, /devices, /kernel, and /vol? I
just don't want to bother backing up stuff that I wouldn't want to restore!
   Thanks for any suggestions.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt