Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] drives being marked down/missing

2002-05-20 11:14:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] drives being marked down/missing
From: CJManders AT LBL DOT GOV (Christopher Manders)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:14:20 -0700
Hi,

I note a couple of things:

1) Almost impossible to have more than one or so drives go south at the same
time (anyway, according to Quantum and STL). So, the more drives down, the
more the issue points to hardware in between the drives and the main unit.
The biggest possibility is that if you use DIFF SCSI you have some bent
pins, or pins that are so bent that they short on each other....that would
do the error you report, especially if the problem were on the robotic
controller scsi channel. Diff uses all 68 pins, so even one will cause
errors...

2) I would check carefully in /var/adm/messages for anything showing the
actual downing of the drives. In the same sentence (messages entry), or
nearby, you may note the actual physical error reported.

3) can robtest move, load and unload drives? Can you tar or dd to a drive?

4) vmd/ltid will report the errors via the separate logs in
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/???? dirs for your stacker/tld, etc. What do those
have? bptm in particular would be useful to look at.

I hope this starts helping.

Yours,

Chris