Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fragment Size

2002-05-15 12:50:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Size
From: rlh AT lsil DOT com (Richard Hellier)
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:50:40 +0100
--------------36657D7FF6B7ED24D8949F07

        We run with a fragment size of 2G and, AFAIK, backup speed is not
impacted  at all (or significantly, at least).  The gain comes when
doing
a restore as the process can skip across whole fragments before reaching
the area of the tape containing the material to be restored.

        With a zero fragment size (i.e. don't fragment), the tar images
are written as a single monolithic block which is slower to scan
through.

        I didn't understand Fabrice's point about end of tape -- I don't
see how running "off the end" is better / worse if using fragments or
not.
Can someone enlighten me on this point?

Cheers,

Richard.
--------------36657D7FF6B7ED24D8949F07

begin:vcard
n:Hellier;Richard
tel;pager:[+44] 7693-905798
tel;fax:[+44] 1344-413114
tel;work:[+44] 1344-413183
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:LSI Logic;GES UNIX Europe
version:2.1
email;internet:rlh AT lsil DOT com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Greenwood House=0D=0ALondon Road;Bracknell;BK;RG12 2UB;GB
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Richard Hellier
end:vcard

--------------36657D7FF6B7ED24D8949F07--