Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN and local drive problem

2002-05-13 13:01:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN and local drive problem
From: darry AT ftc.agilent DOT com (Darry Cooley)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:01:37 -0600
Our backup environment (completely HP-UX) consists of a master server
and 2 SAN media servers.  The 3 servers see 2 LTO libraries, each
library contains 6 drives.  Maximum Jobs per Client is set to 8.

SAN media server 1 - is configured so that it sees only 2 LTO drives
from each library (4 total), mpx disabled on storage unit, set to 2 in
the schedule, backs up itself.
SAN media server 2 - configured the same
master server - class is configured to use any available storage unit,
bp.conf says MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE, the storage units for the master
server are set to see 2 drives/storage unit, mpx set to 6 for the
storage unit & schedule, backs up 12 clients via LAN.

The idea was that the 2 SAN media servers would grab 4 drives each and
do their backups.  The master server would perform traditional LAN
backups using 4 drives.  The SAN media servers are performing fine,
however, a number of my clients that backup to the master server try to
use the drives from the SAN media servers and I'm constantly seeing the
following error on those clients:

59 - Access to the client not allowed, where a client tried to use one
of the drives on the SAN media server.

How can I configure NetBackup such that the LAN clients do not attempt
writes to the SAN media servers?

Thanks...

...Darry