Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Specifying larger tape block sizes under NetBackup?

2002-05-05 22:02:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Specifying larger tape block sizes under NetBackup?
From: vaxzilla AT jarai DOT org (Brian Chase)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 19:02:50 -0700 (PST)
When doing a media contents listing on a volume, I get output results
like the following:

-> media id = 000015, allocated 05/02/2002 19:49, retention level = 3
-> File number 1
->   Backup id = rossum_1020394157
->   Creation date = 05/02/2002 19:49
->   Expiration date = 06/02/2002 19:49
->   Retention level = 3
->   Copy number = 1
->   Fragment number = 1
->   Block size (in bytes) = 32768

It indicates the use of a 32KB block size.  Is there a way to specify
alternate (larger) block sizes to be used by NetBackup?  I'm running
this on a Sun Solaris 8.0/Sparc system with LTO drives.  Testing I've
done outside of NetBackup on the tape devices under /dev/rmt indicates
that block sizes of 64KB-256KB offer better performance.

Answers or pointers to appropriate documentation would be welcomed.

-brian.