Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recovery of Production data onto Test hardware

2002-04-24 15:46:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recovery of Production data onto Test hardware
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:46:58 -0400
Mark Donaldson wrote:

> Things to do ahead of time:
> 1. Install all your oracle binaries on Test server...
> 2. Sync the OS versions on test & prod

   Done.

> Things you're going to restore from prod to test:
> 1. Data files & control files (OFA structure):
> /uXX/oradata/<instance>/*.dbf, /u01/app/oracle/admin/<instance>

   Done.

> 2. Enough archived redo to roll the instance to current
> time (or nearly so)

   We do cold backups of the whole server, so I'm guessing (without asking
the dba, who's in a meeting) that these are on one of the RAID volumes.

> 3. /var/spool/cron/crontabs/oracle

   What would I have here if I had something here? Or does this depend on
the dba's whims? :7)

> If your production system is on the same subnet as your
> test system...

   And it is.

> ...you should be able to bring the production IP address up
> on the same interface as your test address as an alias.

   That's a cool thing that I honestly hadn't thought of. Frankly, if we
lose the Production database, I really won't be in a mood to accommodate the
developers -- and they can use the Development servers (which, in our
set-up, are the systems they ought to be on anyway!).

> Now you don't have to make tnsnames changes to the clients.

   A bonus, as they'll have been disrupted enough. :7)

> Don't try to recover the OS from production - you'll
> struggle getting it right.

   Agreed. (Which reminds me: anyone heard anything about availability of
The Kernel's Group's "Bare Metal" product and NBU?)

> Make a clean distinction between, OS, application, and data
> and you can treat this like a clustered or HA system.

   What do you mean -- should I be making this distinction when I'm planning
my backups?

> If you can get the data on some sort of shared storage
> system, then you can move the data using Veritas volume
> groups...

   Hmmm...we were supposed to meet with some Compaq guys about getting the
Suns on our SAN but they had "car trouble" and we all left. I'll definitely
bring this up when we re-schedule!

> Drop me a line if you have questions.

   That's very generous -- thanks!

> This note is deliberately short...