Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recovery of Production data onto Test hardware

2002-04-24 15:45:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recovery of Production data onto Test hardware
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:45:12 -0400
Darren Dunham wrote:

> Isn't testing revealing?  :-)

   Urgh: I felt sick...and I still do, a little, but that may be the
left-over nasty chicken salad my wife snuck into my lunch yesterday after it
made her sick Monday. Sorry -- yes, scary stuff, very scary.

> I don't think oracle will care about the hostname at all.
> Generally the listener will bind to an IP address.  As
> long as that IP address is available, that should be enough.

   So if I just reconfigure Test with Production's IP address & hostname,
I'm done (assuming that the database files match)? Naaaah, too easy -- but
again you say:

> If you're talking oracle, it shouldn't matter about the OS
> stuff other than the IP address.

   So I'll have to believe you. Looks like I was stressing myself out for
_no_ reason.
   Did I miss this somewhere?

> You'd want to have good /etc/system parameters for shared
> memory, but those could presumably already be the same on
> test and production since you have identical hardware.

   Yessir, they are.
   Darn, this is _way_ less work than I thought it'd be! Thanks for the
information.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt