Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Recovery of Production data onto Test hardware

2002-04-24 13:54:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Recovery of Production data onto Test hardware
From: Will.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:54:01 -0400
Can someone help my better understand the whole disaster-recovery process
for my Sun Oracle servers (E3500's and E420R's)?
   I have two sets of identical hardware, Production (which actual users
access) and Test (where my Oracle dba's and developers try out their code),
which comprise a database server and an application server. In the event of
some catastrophe on the Production hardware, I want to be able to recover
the most recent backup of Production onto the Test hardware and bring that
up in its place until I can get the full-time kit repaired. (Specs: Solaris
2.6, E3500 for database servers, E420R for application servers, NBU Data
Center 3.4.)
   I have two questions here: which files on Test are required to be changed
in order for it to advertise itself as the Production system without a full
reinstall-and-recovery -- i.e., IP address, hostname, and/or port numbers?
-- and which files need to be restored in order to have the full
functionality of the database on the Test hardware -- i.e. all the stuff in
the /vol1/oradata/ directories, and/or Something else?
   I tried this last week, and the Test system wouldn't boot. (Presumably, I
accidentally restored some production OS files I didn't need in the, um,
/kernel directory or something. Ooops!) I Jumpstarted it and then restored
the data and the relevant /etc/files, but now I'm spooked about my "disaster
recovery plans" (which are turning out to be sketchier, and more naive, than
I'd thought).
   If I change the Test system's hostname from (let's just pretend here)
oracle_test.college.edu to oracle_production.college.edu and change to the
corresponding IP address, will that be enough?
   I see the 31 steps and gajillion arrows in the eye-exploding flowchart on
p.484 of Curtis Preston's "Unix Backup & Recovery" which tell me how to
hot-recover an Oracle database, but I'm hoping to avoid those with a
wholesale NBU restore of the "cold" database -- but I'm still up against the
question of doing it onto a different host. Would doing a complete restore
of the root Production filesystem onto one of Test's redundant boot disks be
enough?
   Thanks for any help. This undoubtedly sounds a little ignorant, but it's
one of those days where I figure I oughtta to shine a light under the
kitchen cabinets no matter how dumb I look.
-wde
P.S. Does anyone have a bootable CD with the NBU client on it that they use
for recoveries? Or is there an
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator