Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU Oracle Agent / RMAN

2002-04-23 12:27:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU Oracle Agent / RMAN
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:27:24 -0500
This is the way I understand it...

You have to have a Backup Policy, whether it is the Default-Policy or one you
have created yourself, with an open backup window for the RMAN backups to run.
The schedule information is passed as variables to the RMAN script and you can
do different types of backups based on the schedule you are running (by adding
the logic to your RMAN script), but you still have to have a Backup Policy
defined.

I wouldn't set the schedule retentions to infinite (different from the default
policy retention).  This value defines the length of time that NetBackup will
remember a backup has been done.  I don't see any gains from NetBackup knowing
it ran a schedule 3 years ago (when the backup occurs every week)... this is
different than keeping the image for 3 years in the image catalog... I'm
talking about just knowing when the last backup using that schedule occured.
The requirement is that the retention be at least as long as the frequency...
if you're using NBU schedule windows as opposed to something like CRON to
launch the RMAN script manually (otherwise, it "forgets" it did the backup and
initiates one before it actually needs to).

As for comment... "3) Expiring images under NBU does NOT expire the reference
under RMAN"  It can if you want it to with an RMAN command telling it to
"sync" to NBU... but it won't do this automatically.

When you expire in RMAN it does automatically expire in NBU.  If you decide to
do it this way, infinite on the Backup Policy would be fine.

- Scott

                    "Ballowe, Charles"

                    <CBallowe AT usg DOT com>                   To:
"'Michael Suen'" <suen AT cosmos.buffalo DOT edu>,
                    Sent by:                             Veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:     RE:
[Veritas-bu] NBU Oracle Agent / RMAN

                    04/23/2002 09:55 AM

your backups aren't required to use the Default-Policy. You can add lines
to your RMAN scripts that tell it which policy to use. This is discussed
in a thread from last september:
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/veritas-bu/2001-September/005607.htm

enjoy
-charlie