Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup 3.4 backs up /etc/mnttab as a separate filesystem on Solaris 8!

2002-04-23 06:22:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 3.4 backs up /etc/mnttab as a separate filesystem on Solaris 8!
From: rlh AT lsil DOT com (Richard Hellier)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:22:18 +0100
--------------1F37B54D4FDF7162133433AD

Dave,
        Thanks for the note -- normally I find that the "special" things
such as /tmp, /cdrom etc are automatically excluded (and I guess
/etc/mnttab will be when Veritas update the relevant switch () {}
statement somewhere in the code!).

        Anyway, I'm wary of features such as exclude lists since
I prefer "zero admin" solutions that would, in this case, waste
a small amount of tape (cheap) rather than someone's time (expensive)
to plan, approve, implement and document the change.

        ... 'sides, it's another opportunity for "finger trouble"
where someone could type:

/etc
/mnttab

instead of:

/etc/mnttab

(i.e. skip the whole of /etc (plus the (non-existent) file /mnttab)).

Seems to me that backing up (some) stuff you don't need to is less
"career-limiting" than NOT backing up stuff you meant to!

Cheers,

Richard.

David Markham wrote:

> Dont back it up
>
> add it into your /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list
>
> in the exclude_list i put:-
>
> core
> /tmp
> /proc
> /etc/mnttab
> /cdrom
>
> Dave
--------------1F37B54D4FDF7162133433AD

begin:vcard
n:Hellier;Richard
tel;pager:[+44] 7693-905798
tel;fax:[+44] 1344-413114
tel;work:[+44] 1344-413183
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:LSI Logic;GES UNIX Europe
version:2.1
email;internet:rlh AT lsil DOT com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Greenwood House=0D=0ALondon Road;Bracknell;BK;RG12 2UB;GB
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Richard Hellier
end:vcard

--------------1F37B54D4FDF7162133433AD--