Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Force Tapes to Expire

2002-04-17 11:18:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Force Tapes to Expire
From: Ryan.Anderson AT udlp DOT com (Ryan Anderson)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:18:23 -0500
You'll sometimes be able to delete the tape out of NetBackup using
bpexpdate, but still have problems getting it out of Media Manager. Use
vmquery -deassignby id for this. Also, to have bpexdate not ask "Are you
SURE...?", give it the -force option.

RCA

--
Ryan C. Anderson
Unix Administrator

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Carlos Perales wrote:
> Do any of you know how to properly/immediatly expire tapes ?
> I need to expire tapes daily and set them ready for use immediatly
after I ran
> the command.
> I've tried expiring all images in the tape, however the tapes are
not
> unnasiggned immediatly.
> Any ideas ?

I recently had to do this, I think (assuming I understand the
problem).

Background: our tape library was misconfigured, but just slightly, so
we
were getting I/O errors (media read/write/position).

I wanted to take those tapes, expire the images on them, erase them,
remove them from the media database, and re-insert them as if they
were
brand new.

First, you need to do the expire:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -d 0 -ev mediaid

Then, delete the tape:
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmdelete -m mediaid
(I haven't figured out how to stop it from asking me if I'm sure I want
do this.)

Then, you re-add the tape either from the GUI (compare robot contents
database) or with vmadd.

That should do it, I think.

-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/