Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO backup leading to status 83 and 213's on others

2002-04-14 14:04:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO backup leading to status 83 and 213's on others
From: RMarkham AT hafeleamericas DOT com (Markham, Richard)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 14:04:28 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E477.9B56175A

When I run a SSO backup it will complete successfully but it seems at some
point afterwards i start getting media open errors (83) and then status 213.
The problems reports will show permission denied entries as well.  I have
been able to clear things up by commenting out the DEVICE_HOST entries on
the media managers and also commenting out the DEVICE_HOST entries on the
Master server for the media managers as well (leaving its own DEVICE_HOST
entry untouched).  After I restart services on all media managers and master
things start to run over the lan with no problems.

I have one robot that has two multihosted drives and I add these drives to
each of the media managers, making the master server the robot controller
and volume database host.  i do a quick tldtest to make sure the mounts
correspond to the expected drive #.

On the media managers for this type setup should the vm.conf have a
DEVICE_HOST = <hostname> or should it point to the Master?  Also for the
media managers should there be a MH_HOST_NAME which points to the Master or
should it be left to default to <hostname>?

in regards to the two media managers i have configured (not including
master):
I did notice that I ran a SSO backup from one and it never caused a problem
afterwards.  the configuration files match but when i stopped services on
the second media server it stated vmd process was still active (this was
several hours after a backup had completed and others had ran).  normally
the media manager, while idle, will exit completey without prompting me to
confirm the kill of the vmd process.

i have trouble with 'Could not get globalDB hostname' with this same host.
After doing a vmglob -set_gdbhost <master> -h <master> it will still return
the same error when i vmglob -get_gdbhost.  i'm not sure if this is critical
for the vmd to vmd/DA process or not but i believe its an issue and maybe
vmd cant communicate as needed to successfully release share drive
resources.

thanks for any information.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1E477.9B56175A

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>SSO backup leading to status 83 and 213's on others</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">When I run a SSO backup it will =
complete successfully but it seems at some point afterwards i start =
getting media open errors (83) and then status 213.&nbsp; The problems =
reports will show permission denied entries as well.&nbsp; I have been =
able to clear things up by commenting out the DEVICE_HOST entries on =
the media managers and also commenting out the DEVICE_HOST entries on =
the Master server for the media managers as well (leaving its own =
DEVICE_HOST entry untouched).&nbsp; After I restart services on all =
media managers and master things start to run over the lan with no =
problems. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have one robot that has two =
multihosted drives and I add these drives to each of the media =
managers, making the master server the robot controller and volume =
database host.&nbsp; i do a quick tldtest to make sure the mounts =
correspond to the expected drive #. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">On the media managers for this type =
setup should the vm.conf have a DEVICE_HOST =3D &lt;hostname&gt; or =
should it point to the Master?&nbsp; Also for the media managers should =
there be a MH_HOST_NAME which points to the Master or should it be left =
to default to &lt;hostname&gt;?</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">in regards to the two media managers i =
have configured (not including master):</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I did notice that I ran a SSO backup =
from one and it never caused a problem afterwards.&nbsp; the =
configuration files match but when i stopped services on the second =
media server it stated vmd process was still active (this was several =
hours after a backup had completed and others had ran).&nbsp; normally =
the media manager, while idle, will exit completey without prompting me =
to confirm the kill of the vmd process.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">i have trouble with 'Could not get =
globalDB hostname' with this same host.&nbsp; After doing a vmglob =
-set_gdbhost &lt;master&gt; -h &lt;master&gt; it will still return the =
same error when i vmglob -get_gdbhost.&nbsp; i'm not sure if this is =
critical for the vmd to vmd/DA process or not but i believe its an =
issue and maybe vmd cant communicate as needed to successfully release =
share drive resources.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">thanks for any information.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>