Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Compaq Network Teaming interfere with Backups

2002-04-12 16:23:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Compaq Network Teaming interfere with Backups
From: sibley_ken AT accorel DOT com (SIBLEY, Ken R. - ACCOREL)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:23:00 -0500
> with Backups
>
> I'm running Netbackup 3.4.1 on a Solaris 8 master. I've got
> several W2K Clients using Compaq Network Teaming and the
> network performance is dog slow. I know there are no network
> problems because of sniffer and benchmark testing from
> several critical points. I've got several other Solaris
> clients that have no problems. I'm running some test without
> using teaming on a test client. Has anyone had any problems
> with the Compaq teaming that would cause this issue? Maybe
> it's a config issue on the NIC's themselves or with in the
> teaming software?

I only run the backups and Unix boxes, but we have an E450
with Solaris 2.6 as master/media server and multiple NT clients
with Compaq Network Teaming on 100Mbit NICs.

They are not as fast as our Unix boxes, but some of them
give us decent performance (8-10GB/hr).

Not sure how compaq teaming works, but Sun's Trunking does
not give you an advantage between just two servers if you are
going through a hub/switch as it picks a path based upon the
destinations MAC address will force the same path every time
for the same destination.

Sorry about the delayed response, but I am a little behind on
reading emails for this list.

Ken Sibley
Accor Economy Lodging
Sr. Unix Admin