Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Finding out which tape a file is on

2002-04-11 11:02:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Finding out which tape a file is on
From: alevin AT audible DOT com (Adam Levin)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:02:52 -0400 (EDT)
We're dealing with kind of a weird situation (maybe it isn't so weird).

We've got a pool of tapes used by developers to save their stuff.  These
are permanent backups, never expiring.  When tapes fill up, we pull them
out of the robot and put in fresh tapes.

Sometimes, the developers need to restore.  We want them to control as
much of this as possible, but of course they can't get into the machine
room to physically insert the tapes.

They're asking for a way to know which tape(s) would be needed to restore
particular files.

Now, I know I can get a list of which images are on a particular mediaid,
and which mediaids contain a particular image, but the *image* doesn't
help me -- I need access to the *files* in that image.

Is there a script or command somewhere in NB (3.4.1) that lets me ask,
"Which tapes contain this file?"  I know that initiating the restore will
request the tapes needed, but they're asking to be able to know which
tapes are needed before actually initiating the restore.

Thanks,
-Adam

Adam Levin, Senior Unix Systems Administrator | http://www.audible.com/
Audible, Inc.
Wayne, NJ, 07470                I have no tolerance for zero tolerance.
973-837-2797