Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup of a filer without using NDMP

2002-04-11 10:38:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup of a filer without using NDMP
From: jlkennedy AT amcc DOT com (Jeff Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:38:06 -0700
If the client is not a media server then you may be flooding the nic
with cifs request in and backup resuest out.  The more traffic gets
slammed on a nic the slower it goes.  Of course that may not be the
problem at all....

Check the port this client is connected to for full duplex vs. half
duplex.  Also check the filer for same.  Check the settings on the nic
as well.  Do the same for the master server.

Not much of a cifs person so that's all about all I can offer from the
client side.  But also check the master server for drive throughput
using 'iostat -x 2' (if Solaris).  That will give you an idea of how
much data is hitting the server and whether or not you need to look
there as well.

~JK