Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] PC NetBackup OTM problem

2002-04-10 16:09:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] PC NetBackup OTM problem
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:09:42 -0500
In 3.2 this extra logical drive was automatically created and shared (with
everyone-full share permissions).  They got rid of this action with an early
patch and changed the way OTM worked.

3.4 did not have this until recently (3.4.1).  It looks like it changed again
and now again creates the logical drive (and shares it but with more
restricted permissions).

I don't really like the way it works... but why are you backing up clients
that do not have G: drives in a class that has G: in the file list?  You don't
have to use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES... just don't try to backup drives that don't
exist.

- Scott

                    "Young, Ken"

                    <limelite AT ti DOT com>                    To:     "'paulg
AT CDCNA DOT COM'" <paulg AT cdcna DOT com>,
                    Sent by:                             veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        cc:

                    auburn.edu                           Subject:     RE:
[Veritas-bu] PC NetBackup OTM problem

                    04/10/2002 01:50 PM

I thought the same thing you did but here's the bpbkar log file on the PC
with a C:\ and D:\ partitions and E:\ and F:\ as the CD-ROMs:

04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF - OTM Enable Parameters
04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF -
04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF -            CacheFileName: ''
04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF -        SizeofCacheFileMB: 990
04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF -     MaxSizeOfCacheFileMB: 990
04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF -            QuiescentWait: 5
04/09/02 4:35:15 PM: [1552]: INF -         QuiescentTimeout: 60
04/09/02 4:36:17 PM: [1552]: INF - OTM Mapping:
\\?\Volume{9e1630f6-6e0f-11d4-b6be-806d6172696f}\ --> G:
04/09/02 4:36:17 PM: [1552]: INF - OTM Mapping:
\\?\Volume{9e1630f5-6e0f-11d4-b6be-806d6172696f}\ --> H:
04/09/02 4:36:17 PM: [1552]: INF - OTM Cache File: c:\TEMP\OTM5F.tmp

Apparently, the virtual drives are used to create the cache file. On your
Windows NB restore gui, if you encountered this problem, you will see more
partitions being backed up than there physically are on the Windows client.

I've already spoken to Veritas Support about this. I think this "feature"
really needs to be fixed by Veritas and am surprised that no one's mentioned
this before or is our setup just really that unique?