Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DB2 extension

2002-04-10 14:52:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DB2 extension
From: geoffh AT us.ibm DOT com (Geoffrey Hazel)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:52:35 -0700
The db2.conf file doesn't have any impact on what backups you'll be
running.  In fact, although it APPEARS that you can only have one, in fact
db2 operates by finding the first Policy schedule in the db2.conf file and
then using it regardless of the class you're using.

If you want different policy schedules, depending on backup (daily,
monthly, etc) then do this in your backup script:

case $DB2_SCHED in
Full)
cp /db2home/findiaa/db2.hot /db2home/findiaa/db2.conf
su - findiaa -c "/db2admin/findiaa/cron/backup.sh -d epmdfin1 -t online
2>/db2admin/findiaa/cron/backup.err"
;;
Cold)
cp /db2home/findiaa/db2.cold /db2home/findiaa/db2.conf
/db2admin/scripts/db2_bu.epmdfin1.findiaa.drv -t offline
;;
Incr)
cp /db2home/findiaa/db2.hot /db2home/findiaa/db2.conf
echo "incr backup starts for dfin1 at `date`" >> /tmp/dfin1.bu.out
/db2admin/scripts/db2_bu.epmdfin1.findiaa.drv -t online -i incr
echo status returned is $? >> /tmp/dfin1.bu.out
echo "incr backup ends for dfin1 at `date`" >> /tmp/dfin1.bu.out
;;
esac

db2.hot and db2.cold are the same file but with the stanzas reversed, so
the backup picks up the right policy schedule for the given backup job.  It
is admittedly a kludge, but it was suggested by Veritas support!

# cat db2.hot
#
# The following entries define the CLASS and SCHEDULE to be used in
Netbackup
# to backup the sample database.

DATABASE epmdfin2
OBJECTTYPE DATABASE
CLASS seadba50_EPMDFIN2
SCHEDULE Default-Policy
ENDOPER

DATABASE epmdfin2
OBJECTTYPE DATABASE
CLASS seadba50_EPMDFIN2c
SCHEDULE Cold-Policy
ENDOPER

<snip>

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "Bertie Booysens"           |
|         |           <Bertie.Booysens AT mgxgroup DOT co|
|         |           m>                          |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng|
|         |           .auburn.edu                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           04/10/02 04:51 AM           |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
                                   |
  |       cc:
                            |
  |       Subject:  [Veritas-bu] DB2 extension
                            |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi All

   I have netbackup 3.4 and the DB2 extension installed at a client. From
   what I understand there is a limitation of only one scheduled backup
   (daily) that can run due to the use of the DB2.conf file. Is there a way
   of manipulating the configuration file to have more then one scheduled
   backup in there, e.g. daily,monthly and yearly?

   Bertie Booysens
   Software Engineer
   Tel: +27 11 6952507
   Mobile +27 82 4921410

   "NOTE:  This e-mail message and all attachments thereto contain
   confidential
   information intended for a specific addressee and purpose.  If you are
   not
   the addressee (a) you may not disclose, copy, distribute or take any
   action
   based on the contents hereof; (b) kindly inform the sender immediately
   and
   destroy all copies hereof.  Any copying, publication or disclosure of
   this
   message, or part hereof, in any form whatsoever, without the sender's
   express written consent, is prohibited.  No opinion expressed or implied
   by
   the sender necessarily constitutes the opinion of MTN.  This message
   does
   not constitute a guarantee or proof of the facts mentioned herein."